Monday, 8 March 2010

Ways to engage students in reading

I have a lot of students who simply will not read unless it is for homework/coursework or an exam. I think this is rather sad and it also means that they are not developing their reading skills which will effect how well they do at school and later in life. I had a hard time learning to read as a child. I didn't learn to read until I was 12 and it was only thanks to comics that I was able to engage and find enjoyment in reading.

I was thinking that perhaps this would be a good way to encourage some of my students to read. Comics, graphic novels and manga are a good way to read for pleasure and often contain literary references that students may end up going to the source to look up. It is a bit of stretch but hope springs eternal.

I've been trying to come up with some titles to create a comic/graphic novel/manga section for my library but so far haven't gotten very far. I bought a copy of Watchmen which seemed to be popular but other than that I am at a loss. I did come across this comic today that looks really good and appealing to the age group I work with (16-19).

1 comment:

  1. I sent the Dar link to a friend who is studying LGBT young adult fiction.

    Not sure I can think of many graphic novels. You have the Gaiman things? I am afraid I am mostly only aware of the really obvious stuff like Sandman or Frank Miller stuff (too violent? but still wonderful graphics!).

    ReplyDelete